Thursday, August 7, 2008

Countdown to the Family Road Trip '08

In one week we are off on a month long trip, cross-country to California!!! We did it back in 2005 and I vowed that I would NEVER do it again!!! Never say never, right?!!! Somehow, my brave husband talked me into it. "The kids are older", "We'll take our time", "It'll be educational"...

I was born and raised in CA and all of my family still lives there. My parents are at that age where traveling is much more difficult. So if we're going to spend any amount of time with them, we're the ones who are gonna have to get there. Although Rick is not from there, he spent SO much time in CA that we're both surprised we never ran into eachother. We had to wait till I moved to FL to fall in love! He really enjoys the west coast, so any opportunity to go, he's all for it.

There's actually a lot to accomplish on this trip. First and foremost, see my parents. But there's a little twist to the situation. I'm adopted and I found my birth-family about 2 years ago! My birth-mom lives only 20 minutes from the house I grew up in! She has been dying for me to come out and meet the rest of the "family". Looks like there may be a big reunion, of sorts, to look forward too while there. Could get interesting. Ya think?

So besides the packing, I'm going to try and prepare myself mentally to meet my relatives for the very first time, in person! WOW.

No comments: