Saturday, September 27, 2008

Creating your own community

Often times if you want something done you need to do it yourself!
Today it was proven that taking the bull by the horns can really pay off.

My friend and I have been trying all summer to put a support group together for other HSing families in our area. It's been a bit rough. No shows to playdates, no interest in other activities, etc. It can be discouraging, but we felt there was a real need in our community for a secular group that includes everyone.

We sent and e-vite to everyone who had previously signed up on our group.
Well, we had a great turn out. About 6 families came, about 15 kids, all ages. They played, we bbq'd, they played, we talked, they played...

As of todays shindig, we now have planned and on the books: A Fall Festival Themed/Halloween party, a farm visit, park days, and lookin into 4-H.
We exchanged phone numbers and now we have faces to go with the e-mail addresses!

I have been trying to find my own little "niche" ever since I moved to NC. It's been difficult to find like-minded people.

I think I'm finally starting to feel that sense of "community".

1 comment:

Sbelina said...

I'm so glad you found your spot! I hope I can find mine when I get back.