Wednesday, September 24, 2008

DE/UNschooling myself is...

HARD!!!! I believe in the philosophy SO much, but this is proving to be quite a struggle.

I was a pretty good student during my time in school. Thinking back though, I played the "game" really well. I usually did what was required, without too much effort. I have one of those brains that remembers A LOT, usually the first time I hear or see something. I hardly "studied". I found if I paid attention in class, I'd do very well on the tests. School was not a nightmare for me - in the academic sense.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out in my head is the academic (if any) approach I want to take with A. He is so smart and capable of almost anything. What he lacks is the motivation!
I'm trying to let him decompress. I'm trying not to impose my OC personality on him. And that's where the conflict tends to come in. I have a huge need to accomplish certain things in a day. I want A to accomplish certain things in a day! What wrong with that?

Granted, we haven't been doing this all that long. And we've been traveling almost constantly since we pulled him out of school. So maybe I need to lighten up on us.

I'm probably just going throught one of those phases I've read about. Wondering if I'm doing enough. Fearful of falling behind. Wanting so badly to give my DS the environment to learn whatever his heart desires! Without my hang-ups getting in the way!

So here's what we've been working on the last few days:
Times Tables as well as other math facts.
Grammar, including adverbs, homophones, plural & singular verbs, adjectives & pronouns.
Our Time Line for our trip. We kept track of all the states we traveled through, when we entered and left each state and the interesting things we did and saw along the way.
Joural writing and spelling words.
History - researching the Alamo and it's prominent figures.
Science - we have a couple monarch butterfly catapillars that we're observing and tracking it's phases.
Guitar practise.
Plus all the other cool things we do. We bake bread, we take walks, we pick our fruit in our garden.

Maybe the freedom of HSing is still trying to sink in! haha
I'll continue to remind myself the reasons we decided to follow this path! FREEDOM

1 comment:

Sbelina said...

Check out the waldorf videos on youtube. There are some great ones for times tables. Also, I find their approach to be very sensitive and gentle. It may not resonate with you, but I really like it and would like to do it with RJ.