Wednesday, November 4, 2009

While I'm at it.............

Since I'm here, I should write a bit about how our 'at-home, learning-time" is going.  FYI, we call it that, because ANYTHING that remotely resembles 'school' just will not happen, (without much protesting anyway:)   And we don't want to go down THAT path.   SO...........

Story of the World is going really well.  Both A & B love the stories, the art projects, the maps and the extra literature that the activity book suggests.   Since we can now ride our bikes to the brand new library down the street, we get as many extra books as possible on the particular chaper we're on!  This week we started Ancient China!

Our Literature program has been working quite well.  It's Junior Great Books. I got it at a yard sale from a retired teacher. She highly recommended it.  We skip around a lot to fit our needs.  Each lesson will either be a folk tale, a classic story or a poem.   We take turns reading it may times throughout the week and there are corresponding art projects,  comprehension questions, even skits for the kids to act out.  It's very similar to SOTW, so that's probably why they're enjoying it so much.

A is working on mastering his times tables.  He's also discovered that he loves fractions! And he's going through a sudoku phase:)
Animals are such a huge passion of his. I found a great Animal Encyclopedia. He reads it freely and writes facts that he didn't know about each animal in his notebook. 
Lauguage Arts, grammar, etc. are all touched on and explored with his curriculum workbook.

B is enjoying learning her sight words with flash cards and a bingo/rhyming/word game I found. We do phonics pretty much every day.   Daddy works on math concepts with her since that's now my strong suit(hehe).  I picked up a copy of Teaching Your Child to Read in 100 Easy Lessons from the library. I wanted to see if it's something we'd use before purchasing it.  I'll try it after I've read the Parent Guide.
Oh and, B makes these special cookies from France with her Poppy every time they get together!  She's getting so good at it, she'll be able to make them on her own soon! 

No comments: