Friday, February 6, 2009

Ups & Downs

Let me preface this by saying -- I REALLY DO love homeschooling, REALLY!



But why, oh why, does it have to be such a struggle some days??????????????

Honestly, days like today make me want to throw in the towel. But then I tell myself, this too shall pass. The benefits far outweigh the risks! haha



Granted, A has been sick with some kind of bug for the last week. On those days, he enjoyed coloring, making paper airplanes, watching Animal Planet, and a lot of other stuff too! It's not like he didn't learn anything.



So today he felt better and I wanted to get back to some learning time. After we all wake up, have breakfast, get washed up, etc. we usually sit at the table and do some lessons. We're eclectic home learners, so it's not like I have stacks of curriculum that I demand he finish.

I pick out a few things, or I even let him pick what he would like to do.

Towards the end of our time, (mind you, it's only been about 45 minutes) he was doing his times tables video game and he LOST IT!!!



I eventually told him to get of the computer for a breather, have lunch, go outside, get some energy out!!! I was going to have him try again later in the day, but I figured, give it a day.

My struggle with this times tables thing is this...I've tried drills, I've tried flashcards, I've tried songs. When I found this video game, it was something I thought would really work. He LOVES computer games!!! He was very enthusiastic about it ---UNTIL he reached level3! He also realized that he had to get all the way throught the 12's!!! I think he feels this is going to go on forever!

I'm torn between giving him a break and making him stick to it!
AAAHHHH, the joys of homeschooling:) Tomorrow's another day, right?

1 comment:

Robin said...

For what it's worth, I never memorized the times tables in all my years of school, and it didn't stop me from completing college calculus and computer science. I do multiplication quite fast in my head, I just have little weird tricks for doing it, it's not memorized.