Thursday, October 16, 2008

Why I LOVE HSing

















One of the many reasons. We get to spend time, as a family, doing really fun things!
Today, our little HS group went to a local farm - The Berry Patch. Each kid got to pick any pumpkin they wanted, they took us on a hayride, explained how and when they plant the crops, let us feed the goats, pigs and chickens, let the kiddos jump into a HUGE pile of hay, played with the "potato-sling"(picture a big sling-shot overlooking a field), and then they topped it off with free home-made ice cream!!!


What a super way to spend a beautiful (but HOT) day with our friends and families. It honestly makes me wonder why we waited so long to do it. Homeschooling that is.
I often think about the kids that are in public school and feel really sad for them. Especially when the school buses drive by. I know that for most families, public school has it's purpose. I was one of those parents at one time that had no other options. I wasn't in a situation that made it possible for me to stay home. It had always been a desire though to HS. Since A was an infant, it was something we discussed a lot! It just took me 8 years to make it happen.

Anyway, on a day like today, I count my blessings. I'm thankful that I'm the one who gets to experience these things with them. I'm grateful that they aren't sitting in a mobile classroom with 30 other kids. I'm glad that they can learn through living, through being out in the real world, meeting real people.
I know I'm still really new to all of this, I'm trying to figure out what works best for us, but the fact still remains...being together, learning together, cherishing our time together, is what matters most to my family.

Wow, all that from a trip to a farm! haha

No comments: